Where to discuss replacement of Rmath?

I was wrong about the license for libRmath - it is GPL v2. See the Rmath-julia repository.

1 Like

I sent Ian Smith a link to this thread, so he may join in and clarify his position. I canā€™t speak for him, but I know he made suggestions in the R development forum a decade or so ago.

1 Like

Cf recent work:

https://github.com/JuliaStats/StatsFuns.jl/pull/113

I know nothing about licensing or copyrights etc. Many years ago I was told that if I didnā€™t add a copyright to my software, some else could take it, add a copyright and then I wouldnā€™t be able to do anything with my own software. Iā€™ve no idea whether or not this is true.

Anyway, I donā€™t really want anything out of my software except to be able to keep editing it to my heartā€™s content. If someone else wants to take it and use it and change it for their own purposes then I have no problem with that.

I know nothing about Julia but I do know a lot about this kind of statistics software. If you want to produce your own software then I can at least help by testing it if that is of any use. Iā€™ve usually got lots of tests lying about with expected results.

Ian Smith

3 Likes

Actually the contrary is true. If you donā€™t put any license then people have to assume that you retain all rights. So if you find any code without a licence, you cannot redistribute it, and you cannot reuse it in open source or free software projects. Conversely, if you want people to be able to redistribute/adapt code that you wrote, you should attach a simple licence to it, like the MIT licence that Julia uses.

6 Likes

That sounds fine. Iā€™m going to update the source file in the near future so Iā€™ll do it then.

6 Likes

Done.

2 Likes