We as a community should be more understanding of Julia's flaws

I don’t see how this could be a big problem. It is trivial to give someone a package to execute whatever program they desire, and the package manager makes it a breeze to set up the appropriate environment.

4 Likes

Let me give some of the major reasons people complain about Julia and possible ways to solve them.

• Perceived Problem 1: There are little to no questions on Julia’ s stackoverflow tag, so if you have an issue, you’ll have a hard time to solve it.

• Perceived Problem 2: Python has more libraries than Julia. In Julia, there are little libraries in the ecosystem, and they’re not actively managed.

• Solution: Put your expectations in check, programming languages and softwares don’t work that way. Real world applications take time and they move in trends. Using python as an example, below are the most popular libraries you would mostly use if you use python a lot:

• pypy a just-in-time compiler for python to help speed up the language published an initial release in 2007, 16 after python was created.
      • cython an extension of python for those who want to speed [python] up published an initial release in 2007, 16 after python was created.
      • Pandas the most popular python library for dataframes published an initial release in 2008, 17 years after python was created.
      • Numpy the most popular python library for numerical computing published an initial release in 2006, 15 years after python was created.
      • Matplotlib the most popular python library for plotting published an initial release in 2003, 12 years after python was created.
      • Tensorflow one of the most popular python library for ML and AI published an initial release in 2015, 24 years after python was created.
      • Pytorch one of the most popular python library for ML and AI published an initial release in 2016, 25 years after python was created.
      • Scikit-learn one of the most popular python library for ML published an initial release in 2007, 16 years after python was created.
      • Selenium one of the most popular Python library for browser automation published an initial release in 2002, 11 years after python was created.
      • Django one of the most popular python web framework published an initial release in 2005, 14 years after python was created.
      • Flask of the most populat python web framework published an initial release in 2010, 19 years after python was created.
        None of the libraries were developed 10 years after python. Any genuine person would ask this: Then what were people doing with Python for the first 10+ years… I guess they were using Perl, BASIC and bashing on Python as a lot of people are currently doing to Julia. So if you claim to love python and hate julia because of libraries availability, you’re just a user who loves python because its easy to use with add-ons (libraries), not necessarily the language design itself; and moreover you would have said same thing about python had you come into it exactly 10 years after the language was developed (just like you say about Julia now).

Now contrast the above with how Julia is evolving:

• DataFrames.jl one of the most popluar julia library for tabular data published an initial release in 2013, 1 year after Julia was created.
      • Plots.jl one of the most popular julia library for plotting published an initial release in 2015, 3 years after julia was created.
      • UnicodePlots.jl one of the most popular julia Unicode-based scientific plotting for working in the terminal published an initial release in 2015, 3 years after julia was created.
      • Makie.jl one of the most popular julia high level plotting on the GPU published an initial release in 2018, 6 years after Julia was created.
      • Flux.jl one of the most popular julia ML library published an initial release in 2017, 5 years after julia was created.
      • Knet.jl one of the most popular julia deep learning framework published an initial release in 2016, 4 years after julia was created.
      • Franklin.jl one of the most popular julia static website generator published an initial release in 2019, 7 years after julia was created.
      • Genie.jl one of the most popular julia web framework published an initial release in 2018, 6 years after julia was created.
        There are over 8000 registered packages in the Julia ecosystem, so if you care to search well enough, you might find what you need. 10 years into a language and they’re already over 8000 registered packages. This should tell you how fast the language is evolving.

The above comparisons are not given to say Julia is better than Python. The message it’s trying to convey is that softwares and especialy open source softwares takes time. Since no one is getting paid for what they do, why do you think it will get out of the door just with a winkle? It takes time, so have that in mind. Anyways, if you want a library to be developed instantly for you, then talk to Julia Computing (but be ready to pay for it as its not free).

All the growth of those python libraries came as a trend of the growth in ML and AI, and python was the only simple and versatile language dominant among users to glue them to at that time - so you see the trend now. The libraries weren’t developed because of Python (most of the development were done in C++ and C, not in python as we all know), they were only glued to Python so users can easily call them. There are more libraries you know of in Python than the ones listed above, chances are they were initially released 20+ years after Python already existed. So yes Julia don’t have all the libraries you might need now, but its just 10 years old and chances are it has enough of the libraries to do most of the stuff you would need now (except in very niche cases where you either have to develop one yourself or wait for others interested in what you do to develop it as time goes on).

• Perceived Problem 3: There are a lot of tutorials out there to learn other languages, Julia’s tutorials on the internet is very small.

• Solution: Julia’s documentation isn’t the best you’ll find on earth, but it does a good job of explicitly telling you what and what you need to know and master to effectively use the language. If you have a problem the docs doesn’t address, then instantly ask questions on any of the channels highlighted in the solution to problem 1 (you’re guaranteed of an answer in 30mins) and also pull a request for it on github and you’re sure to get a review in a day (at most). Contrasting it with a language like python again, the tutorials boom on python only started gaining momentum 20 years after python already existed, as a result of the growth of ML and AI; and it didn’t happened overnight to get to where it is, it took time.
  • Perceived Problem 4: Julia is 1-based indexing and the other languages are all 0-based indexing, so its hard to get used to this new behaviour and it will slows my productivity.

• Solution: Julia is a isn’t the only language using 1-based indexing. FORTRAN, APL, MATLAB, R, Wolfram, Lua, COBOL, etc., all use 1-based indexing and they have millions of developers using these languages and great softwares out there (so you see its not much of a big deal as most people would try to make it). Within a month of development in Julia, you will probably get used to it. If you’re still keen on using 0-based indexing, then JuliaArrays provides OffsetArrays.jl for you, so you can use 0-based indexing and even negative indexing as you wish to in Julia.
  • Perceived Problem 5: In other langauges I can quickly build standalone binaries, this is hard or not even possible in Julia.

• Solution: Honestly, there is work going underground for this and its best left to say “NO Julia can’t build standalone binaries for now”. Of course, there are multiple workarounds like PackageCompiler.jl if you currently wish to build one still, but it’s not yet effective like other languages have.
  • Perceived Problem 6: In python for example I can easily call C and C++ libraries, this is hard or not even possible in Julia.

• Solution: You can do same and possibly even more in Julia. With Julia you can call most programming languages and use their code and libraries effectively.

A lot more others showing you how to use other languages from Julia can be found here: JuliaInterop

To conclude, I will add this: If a language/environment is “good enough” for someone, no amount of persuasion will convince them to switch. In my experience, people who gravitate to Julia do so because it really solves the problems they had with other languages (in terms of speed, elegance, abstraction, “two-language problem”), or expect that it will, given time, so it is worth investing in.

26 Likes

If you by “little to no” mean “thousands”, then you are definitely right.

2 Likes

This is somewhat derailing the thread so apologies for doing so, but on the StackOverflow point: I know many in the community actively dislike SO, and it’s certainly not a great place to have many of the in-depth “how can I speed up inference in this Turing PDE model 1000x” discussion happening on here, but there’s still a decent community of very good Julia coders who are monitoring the Julia tag on SO and provide excellent answers (or at least comments to the badly posed questions which can’t be answered) to most questions almost instantaneously.

So if you come across someone complaining about the lack of SO Julia content, please encourage them to post a question there, and they’ll likely be surprised how quickly they’ll have their problem solved.

Of course actively posting a question on SO is more effort than just googling something and copy-pasting the solution from an already existing question, but there’s little we can do about that other than encouraging people to ask more questions.

9 Likes

(Perhaps OT, yes, but I’ve never understood what’s so bad about SO, especially the Julia tag.)

1 Like

Do you have a guide on how to do that? Because I have been trying unsuccessfully for months. Environments and package version management are not trivial to me. They are a big problem.

3 Likes

By “them”, I am not sure whether you were referring to the problems or those people who where complaining…

I’d say that your argument in Problem 2 doesn’t quite stand. Intensive development of Python’s computational capability (thanks to the advent of machine learning, of course) largely started around 2010, slightly before the inception of Julia. In a way, one may argue that Julia started with a cleaner slate than Python (e.g. the Python 2 to 3 transition mess), so the difference is not that big.

IMHO, the biggest complaints the HN crowd have about Julia are:

1. The language is a bit over-sold. When people tried the language and it failed to deliver all the promises, they feel they were “conned”.
  2. Some part of the Julia community can be quite dismissive when responding to valid criticisms on Julia. When people complain about Julia’s problems on HN (probably because they were disappointed), you often see replies arguing along the line of “You are doing it wrong; Julia is different than Python/Foo/Bar”, or when it comes to performance comparisons, “Your implementation is not type stable / is allocating too much; you should be apply these optimization to speed it up”. On itself this is not really an issue, but a lot of people perceived Julia as a language as easy to use as Python while as performant as C/C++ — they then found out that they have to choose between ease of use and performance, which reinforces their opinion that the language over-promised.
  3. There is also the problem of developer experience (e.g. tooling, static analysis, workflow best practices).
8 Likes

You’re using Julia and I believe you want it grow big.

So when you see such problems like the great ones you’ve highlighted. Think of a possible solution to circumvent it. If you don’t have a solution to a problem, then I feel its a “problem” to you as well, you understand?

For example, the language is oversold. Ok, so how do you help so we stop making it oversold? Put up the discussion on discourse and let others contribute, that’s how I see it from an angle of someone who wants Julia to grow.

So, whenever you see a problem, even if you don’t have a solution but love to see the problem being solved. Turn on your computer and post a thread in discourse, its free.

The problems I posted above are the ones I think I’ve seen countless times. Now you have to add the ones you’ve highlighted as well and also solutions (if you have them), or ask for help? Let your actions be someone who wants to help the language grow, other than stating problems A, B, C, with no help or no sign of asking for help.

Well, recognizing the problems is certainly the first step towards solving them.

I am not quite sure I follow you here…

I guess my point was that some of the solutions you proposed sounded more like defences — materials one can use to argue with critics of the language. Unfortunately, I don’t think these critics will change their mind after seeing the defences presented; they will more likely to just walk away, telling others on HN that the Julia community is toxic. Perhaps a better way of phrasing them would be for the Julia community to promote better user education?

As for my own observations: It is my hope that the language and ecosystem can continue to grow and I appreciate the effort Julia’s developers put into growing the language. However, I am but a mere user of the language, and I am only here to provide my feedbacks; I don’t think I am in a position to tell people how to solve those problems.

3 Likes

You’re not a mere user. It took you more than a second to install Julia on your local machine, so you’re part of the statistics when downloads is counted.

Please in your own small way provide solutions to any problems you encounter, so it can be solved. And when you don’t have such a solution, ask the question anyways, so others can learn from it.

1 Like

How about this: GitHub - PetrKryslUCSD/FreeVibrationExample: Simple Example of Free Vibration Computation?
If you’d like, download the repo and follow the instructions. Some minutes later
one can run the simulation. (Precompilation takes the most part of the start up time.)

1 Like

I use DrWatson to build a reproducible environment for data analysis. It doesn’t do anything you couldn’t do manually but does make the process a bit more straightforward. It is particularly helpful for ensuring that scripts run in the correct environment.

1 Like

Thank you for the post. Point well taken and I think appropriate. New perspectives joining the is very useful. Helping those getting started guarantees the inflow of potentially creative and useful ideas. Sometimes a simple question can open a dialogue that leads to a new perspective, with group input.

I’d hardly call writing a .bat and a .sh script for every project to make it reproducible “trivial” or “a breeze”, nor is it a Julia solution.

I think Dr. Watson is overkill for what I need, but I will give it another look.

But I am off topic now and will leave it here.

Ok, perhaps it wasn’t as obvious as I thought.

1. This workflow (GitHub - PetrKryslUCSD/FreeVibrationExample: Simple Example of Free Vibration Computation) is only needed if the person receiving the instructions does not have an installed Julia at all.
  2. To adjust this workflow for a different application project it doesn’t take more than changing a single variable: FreeVibrationExample/install.sh at 8be88c2e9687c3629fe71890d90407bfaa8699a8 · PetrKryslUCSD/FreeVibrationExample · GitHub
    No other messing with batch files is required. In a pinch, the user package name could be solicited
    from the user at runtime.
  3. If the person receiving the program already has Julia installed, all that is needed is to download
    GitHub - PetrKryslUCSD/RunVibrationExample.jl: Run an example of a free-vibration solution and run run.jl in that folder. That is a pure Julia workflow. In doesn’t take more than say include("run.jl").
1 Like

Technically, the line is “Julia is an expressive language like Python is”, not that it is as easy (well, type-based dispatching is easier in Julia for obvious reasons). But practically, you are right that a lot of people come into Julia expecting to do classes and inheritance rather than annotating fields in structs and dispatching generic methods for type stability; they don’t seem to realize that Python’s runtime type checking is a big reason it’s so hard to optimize.

Maybe it would help if more first-time Julia examples showcased what’s different from Python? So rather than just showing f(x) = g(x, h(x)) + 3 and saying the compiler’s type inference takes care of things, you’d show how you can have some important manual control over type inference, like struct Wrapped{T} inside::T end and initializing an accumulating loop with result = zero(eltype(A)). That said, most introductory learning sources have done this, but I’m guessing many people have not read those before throwing themselves into writing a script, so I think it would help if the casually quoted examples also look more Julian.

Blaise Pascal on “correction” is a classic (pls excuse historical pronoun gender)
“When we wish to correct with advantage, and to show another that he errs, we must notice from what side he views the matter, for on that side it is usually true, and admit that truth to him, but reveal to him the side on which it is false. He is satisfied with that, for he sees that he was not mistaken, and that he only failed to see all sides. Now, no one is offended at not seeing everything; but one does not like to be mistaken, and that perhaps arises from the fact that man naturally cannot see everything, and that naturally he cannot err in the side he looks at, since the perceptions of our senses are always true.”

21 Likes

Just wanted to drop this link here as your comment was one of the reasons why I thought it would be worth to write this post:

https://jkrumbiegel.com/pages/2022-08-26-pkg-introduction/

19 Likes

I totally agree that conflating these is most probably wrong, but I also think the marketing issue has popped up fast in the thread for a good reason: the two aspects are intimately related imho, more than what I feel the general consensus here is.

As an actual outsider of the language (have wrote less than 1000 lines of Julia yet, but gravitating around with fluctuant interest) I actually believe that in some sense you, as a community, should choose which of the two aspects (marketing vs social “aggression”) you want to “be a problem” and let the other be “all good”, since they are kind of complementary. If people are bringing up marketing and expectations here is maybe just because they do not agree on this implicit “choice” about which of the two is the main issue.

Going explicit on “how and why” they are complementary, let’s take one of the forms of the “solved 2-lang problem” slogan: faster than c++, easier than python.

• if you want this to be a reality (maybe with “as mush as” formula instead of “more than”, ok) then you should totally avoid bashing people for “allocating like crazy” (on a personal note, I also find exactly this kind of mocking tone strongly pushing me back from the community), since keeping attention to this level of details --maybe even worse with type stability-- greatly moves away from the “python-like easy” perception.

• but you can very well prefer to hold the position that a user that wants performance would inevitably need to dive deep in such critical details, and so you would rather keep your “right” to explain why the user is failing to code idiomatically (or even appropriately in general for the problem at hand) and suggest to investigate more on these fundamental quirks before complaining about supposed flaws of the language. (in a kind way, of course, about tone I see no excuses and I’m quite happy about the consensus here)

From this latter perspective, I think one should seriously consider to drop the vision (if not even a claim that we are already there) of a language that’s at the same time easy, dynamic, remarkably expressive and outstandingly performant.

Let’s be clear I think Julia can be each of these, there is much evidence about best-in-class speed, it’s quite easy to demonstrate a huge degree of dynamism and we all know how much expressive mutiple dispatch can be. But after reading many many discussion here I got that you can’t have the whole cake, every time people has performance issues the advice inevitably lowers to “reduce drastically your dynamism, maybe even freeze it all”.

I actually think it’s very very very nice that Julia allows you to have both styles and to exploit the wild dynamism while fast prototyping, and then optimize the production code by just polishing and giving dynamism up afterwards and where is relevant, without needing to switch language (and so style) all together for everything. In this sense yes, the 2-lang problem is solved, I agree. But I don’t think all these slogans, in any form, really deliver this exact message. People really expect instead to have both dynamism (et. al) and bare-metal performance working together and I just fail to see that happening anywhere near in the future. Like really, a language that is actually extremely dynamic and at the same time blazing fast is a huge promise, and a beautiful (greedy? semicit.) one.

Some time ago there was a very long thread, “Claim (false): Julia isn’t multiple dispatch but overloading” and while I agree with the general community response (Julia is totally able to dispatch at runtime and has no notion of static types, so that’s the semantics in the language) I find the critique had an hidden bit of truth: you can have runtime multiple dispatch and it opens wonders about composability but then you have inevitable performance pitfalls, unless you tame the actual runtime nature. So, apparently, what you all really want as the “unreasonable driver of julia success” (semicit.) is actually static “inferrable” multiple dispatch, very similar to overloading, in many ways. Again all communication about multiple dispatch focuses strongly on its inherent dynamic nature but any performance advice screams at you “no! do not touch the marvelous toy I just praised to you, bad kid”. So people feel betrayed in their expectations, you had promised a golden apple, you are afterwards mocked for believing it too much. Managing expectations would go quite a long way on perception and probably remove many “dumb questions” from your daily discourse walk: something like “we have something more powerful than static overloading since compile time is intermixed with runtime and you can have a fair bit of dynamism on your dispatch but beware, you have to carefully dose how much dynamism you put in to avoid serious performance pitfalls” sounds quite better than “multiple dispatch unleashes powerful dynamic composability within a C-speed language… oh, you have crazy type instability, how you dare complaining about performance, you dumb”, doesn’t it?

Sorry for the very long comment, I initially intended to be way more concise. I would like to give it an end by noting that from comments like

I understand that some of you may be aligned with the latter “worldview” (as I am, in general, for whatever performance-oriented language) but this to me is in fair conflict with statements like

if the aggressive marketing keeps relying on the “both easy and performant” adage. (sorry @jacobusmmsmit, did not really want to take both quotes from you, they are just an example of the friction I see here). The claims are well substantiated as far as performance goes, but not really if you expect that much easy of usage in the same code.

9 Likes

Hot take: we are too worried about perceptions on hacker news. Hardly anyone reads hacker news, and people that do are not necessarily the target audience of Julia.

As a counterpoint, this youtube video is approaching 400,000 views and has 1000 comments, mostly positive. There is probably more to learn by reading these, as new julia users from channels like this will outweigh people coming from hacker news. Probably by a lot.

19 Likes