Warning in 1.0 +?

not only that, but the REPL with help?> is a separate package (IPython), literally most unfriendly language out there (/s)

@Henrique_Becker
Julia 0.7 is not this same like 1.0. Please try raaddlm 10^6 lines on 0.7 … is slower then Excel :wink: I indicated 2 yers ago …
Try Intall two or more version Julia on one user WIN… GR not works… many many many more…
Paul

No one is saying you should use 0.7 for production. Just use it to fix the warnings and switch to 1.x.

I don’t understand why you’re so resistant to following this advice. Considerable effort was put in from the Julia developers to make this transition as painless as possible; you should take advantage of that work to make your life easier.

7 Likes

Idea with ver 0.7 was great! This is obvious, I do, in particular, when I go back to old projects and I have to change them.
But now Julia is poor in hints (look above please with average), older versions were very friendly, which made Julia unique. She is now a hermetic.
Paul

Please do not personify a programming language (Julia Community - Standards). Also, until this comment:

Idea with ver 0.7 was great! This is obvious, I do, in particular, when I go back to old projects and I have to change them.

you gave no indication that you had heard this advice, and to the contrary you were just complaining about it in your post just above it. Why didn’t you just say that you accepted this advice much earlier in the conversation?

That appears to settle your original complaint. You also raised a concern about mean. Several others already responded, so it’s not so clear why this was relevant to my response to your concern about using Julia 0.7.

To try to extract something positive from this conversation: are you proposing that the UndefVarError should recommend using the Statistics package? If so, how do we decide where to cut this off? Just the standard library, any installed package, or any name exported by any registered Julia package? Do we ship the list with your version of Julia, so that it doesn’t update as people write new packages? Do you only allow exact matches or do we allow spelling mistakes? Will it be irritating when I mistype a variable as food (I meant foo) and I get a suggestion to load the Food.jl package?

6 Likes

I know it’s hard to say where to cut. I would bet inside Julia and outside incoming packages. Hints for Statistic, Linear Algebra, Dates, Primes, … I don’t know exactly, I used only part of the possibilities. Just all who was in Julia until 0.6.

I remember it was great for me when Julia was automaticly creating complex numbers with sgrt (-1) . These were “little things” that attract users and not force readers to write manuals about creating classes …:wink: Today in Julia there is a hint, that’s good. But if something is unambiguous, why not do it detrministically?

Paul

Wait, when was this?

2 Likes

If someone saw the need for it, maybe they could write a package that offered to search the standard library whenever a function call turned up an UndefVarError.

1 Like

many years ago… maybe it was matlab …:wink:
Paul
W dniu 2020-03-01 o 21:56, DNF via JuliaLang pisze: