Using Python as the basis for a Julia installer

I’ve put a lot of effort into finding how to install Julia for specific projects. I’ve run into this response before regarding jill.py and juliaup: Ignore what I write and what my needs are and what is technically feasible. Push juliaup forcefully and loudly and try to kill every other option. I find it baffling. I kind of understand the goal, but as this response makes clear, this is a counter-productive way to go about it.

I invite anyone interested to read what I actually wrote above. It is short and clear. The responses are bizarre.

Don’t believe the FUD. jill.py has worked perfectly for me in my user environment, in virtual environments, as a command line app, and as a library. And it’s python, so I can and did easily hack it for my needs. Yeah, I know people have problems with Python and pip, and sure, it might not work for you. Python sux, this is not news. But, if you do happen to have a working Python installation (is there an echo in here?) it will take you, if you care to, two seconds to try it… I find it disheartening and embarrassing to have to write this.

• From the juliaup README:

Note that the Mac and Linux version are considered prerelease, have known bugs and might often break.

FWIW, juliaup worked fine for me on arch linux.

I needed way to automatically install Julia on a system that has a working Python. I feel like writing that all in caps. In a previous conversation I repeated it several times and it never got through. I doubt it will here. jill.py works immediately, via a single python API, for several platforms; Yes, I’m sure there are some that if fails on. And don’t forget how terrible pip is! For juliaup, I would have to implement logic to find out what platform I am on (and find access to platforms to test it), then download or maintain the appropriate installer that installs the juliaup installer. And try to figure out how it works and where components and Julia are installed because its not documented… Oh and a while ago you had to wait for juliaup to be updated when a new Julia version is released. Maybe that’s fixed now. But, I know jill.py doesn’t have this problem.
Don’t misunderstand me, juliaup is great, and all of this will improve and be taken care of. juliaup is the future! But, I need a solution that works today for me.

The rust install pages offer rustup as the best solution for most cases, but mention other ways to install. I wonder why they are so relaxed.

2 Likes