Tables.jl vs TableTraits.jl (was TextParse.jl is fast again)

As an outside observer to this discussion and user “in the market” for an ecosystem of tabular datastructurs, my understanding of the different between the camps could be summarized as:

• Queryverse.jl/TableTraints.jl: Focus on interop first (support many packages with simple interface), worry about performance in special cases later.
  • Tables.jl: Focus on performance first (define richer interface for different use cases: row-based/col-based), support fewer packages (now, because starting from scratch)

Not sure if this description is accurate or helpful, but I guess this discussion would be most productive if all the contributors agree on the strengths of their respective approaches.

Also, I guess it would be possible to implement interface bridges between the two, but of course this work would be redundant if one could agree on a single interface in the first place.

I am also an outsider to both projects, but intrinsically, I don’t think there is anything that prevents either design from being fully optimized.

I originally thought that Tables.jl was a simpler framework than TableTraits.jl, but I am no longer sure that using Julia’s iteration protocol directly for access is able to handle everything well (eg resource management, cf #22466).

I think that ultimately an ideal interface will require a departure from iterate.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Package for tabular data