Strftime & strptime bug #27239 is present on all platforms, not just Windows

Thank you for your comment.

They could be valid EUC-KR characters but it does not mean they are valid UTF-8. EUC-KR is not compatible with UTF-8 except ASCII plane. It bothers people in this culture because EUC-KR is not compatible with both codepage and encoding. For example, is 0xc7d0 in EUC-KR, but U+d55c in Unicode and will be encoded as 0xed9f9c in UTF-8.

Currently Julia is not aware of other encodings except Unicode I guess. (at least in base and stdlib) Python 3 only supports str in Unicode yet use different encodings for encode/decode bytes. strftime() function of time module in Python 3 returns correct str. I also want to use Unicode (especially UTF-8) mainly in Julia. It requires every bytes which are not compatible with Unicode must be transcoded. I think it will be great if packages such as StringEncodings.jl becomes base or stdlib.

The fix needs to be applied for platforms (which makes it simpler anyway), and a similar fix needs to be made for strptime as well.

Thank you! I should search wchar_t version of strptime(). If I understand correctly, do you meen the problem can also happen in different platforms, not only Windows?