State of machine learning in Julia

I completely agree with what @patrick-kidger and @jgreener64 said. Julia has indeed a huge potential for machine learning, but its current state is a little bit mixed. Personally, coming from climate science and wanting to use SciML as a tool for my research, I’m left with mixed feelings. Some developers/researchers have a super solid background on computer science, and/or can afford spending a lot of time doing dev work. For others, like me, this is only a part of my job, and we could use a little more user-friendliness. I understand that this is also a consequence of the novelty of many of these libraries and methods, but I’m often struggling to find the necessary information in the documentation, and errors are often cryptic and hard to debug.

More specifically, the main reason I’m sticking with Julia for SciML is because the DifferentialEquations.jl library is top notch. It works super well, and I haven’t found anything similar in Python. However, it’s the AD part that is becoming a true pain for my research. I recently started a similar open discussion about the state of differentiable physics in Julia, which also highlighted some of the current limitations (and strong points) of the AD ecosystem in Julia. Since I started working with Julia, I’ve had two bugs with Zygote which have slowed my work by several months. On a positive note, this has forced me to plunge into the code and learn a lot about the libraries I’m using. But I’m finding myself in a situation where this is becoming too much, and I need to spend a lot of time debugging code instead of doing climate research. Moreover, the documentation of both Zygote and Flux is pretty small, and I already found myself making a PR to add some extra comments to the Zygote documentation, because as a newcomer to the library I felt completely lost at the beginning.

I guess all this will be fixed with time, as new people join the community and the libraries become more mature. I still think Julia is the best choice for SciML, but more care should be taken into making these libraries (and their documentation) more user friendly. Otherwise I can totally understand that a large pool of potential users gets scared away. Just my two humble cents.

25 Likes