Should we make a push into gaming industry?

Great simple game framework, not sure if it stands ready to push forward the quality of gaming. Triple A styled games require a lot.

Though I’m thinking of making a good game from the first principle, in that regard, I’m still not sure. I believe Starlight is going to be a game engine binding popular graphics tools for Julia.

there was a game that supported plug-ins/mods in Julia.
It was quite a few years ago now, 5+.
I remember we used to get random people very confused, coming on to slack (or maybe back then it was Gitter)

I don’t remember any of the details beyond that

2 Likes

Plugging Julia into Kerbal Space Program 2 would be a lot of fun.

1 Like

Wow, more people are interested in this than I expected. Maybe we should make Julia cross the keen eye of Riot Games or something, even if just for a moment?

I am aware of a level editor for mods for a game written in Julia, is this related?

1 Like

From the same people in 100% Lua:

but better than the other [Julia] one
[…]
The program is still in an early state, many things are still missing and it is under active development.
[…]
Lönn is a successor to Ahorn, a visual level maker based on Maple. If you want to be able to generate and edit maps using code, give Maple a try.

This project is an unofficial map maker and level editor, it is merely a fan project

While Ahorn is in Julia, and Maple is 100% Julia, it seems will be abandoned for 100% Lua, and it would be instructive to know way. I know Lua is common in the game industry, as an embedded language. But it’s not clear to me that the editors are embedded/able in the game, or if, if that’s why Lua was chosen. I think you could (have) actually done that with Julia too, but could see how possibly it wasn’t as smooth (at least with older Julia versions).