New Julia LTS? Are many using the current (Julia 1.6) LTS?

Maybe I make to big of a deal out of this, currently less than 1.4% of packages (Direct (132) Indirect (4640) users) have Compat.jl as a direct dependency, and from now on, close/r to a 100% might need to, annoying to add and I’m not sure how many even know of its existence, but now they need to, and add, or possibly tools can automate it?

All those that do not will make the LTS second class (a good reason to not use it from now on for new code; then an argument sort of to not release a new LTS…), more so than in the past. Usually the same syntax/keywords have worked on latest vs. LTS, and now that is broken. It feels worse than some obscure (e.g. LinearAlgebra) added function that few need.

Right most can and should, and how does that not disregard 1.10 users? I.e. those that want to use 1.10 LTS? Current 1.6 LTS users can “disregard” the possible new LTS (1.10 likely), nobody is forcing users to opt into it.

It seems the new possible 1.10 LTS (assuming public not added) will be dead-on-arrival, with people not wanting to use it. It’s not in users hands to add Compat to packages, except by bugging the package ecosystem developers to add it (or make a PR), or even worse a separate branch (that will get left behind).

1 Like