Julia v1.7.3 has been released

Julia version 1.7.3, the third patch release in the 1.7 series of releases, is now available. Binaries are available at https://julialang.org/downloads/ for the following platforms, listed here by support tier:

• Tier 1:
    • Linux x86_64 (glibc)
    • Linux i686 (glibc)
    • macOS x86_64 (Intel or Rosetta)
    • Window x86_64
  • Tier 2:
    • FreeBSD x86_64
    • Linux AArch64 (glibc)
    • Windows i686
  • Tier 3:
    • Linux x86_64 (musl)
    • Linux ARMv7 (glibc)

Note that unlike with v1.7.2, binaries for macOS M1, a tier 3 platform, are not available for this release due to infrastructure issues and the general instability of native M1 support in 1.7. (That has improved in 1.8.) Users with M1 Macs can still run the Intel 1.7 binary with Rosetta.

As a patch release, 1.7.3 contains no new features or breaking changes, only bug fixes, documentation improvements, and performance improvements. You can see the list of commits included since 1.7.2 here. We recommend that anyone currently using prior 1.7 versions upgrade to 1.7.3.

Note that 1.7 on GitHub Actions, Travis, AppVeyor, and Cirrus now refers to 1.7.3.

Enjoy!

45 Likes

Which one among all do you recommend for Ubuntu 20?

3 posts were split to a new topic: After 1.7.3, could not download registries (thread failed to start)

I am using Julia 1.7.2. How can I update it to 1.7.3.
I don’t want to reinstall all the packages in 1.7.2

You don’t have to reinstall anything. Just download the new version the same way you downloaded the previous. If you use juliaup then you’ll get updates automatically.

1 Like

Presumably Linux x86_64.

Follow this FAQ: How can I transfer the list of installed packages after updating my version of Julia?

That only applies when moving between minor versions of Julia. A patch release — like 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 — does not require any action.

7 Likes

Is it best for M1 users to go with 1.8beta3, which is what I’ve been doing with no problems?

2 Likes

Hello, I want to ask why I can not use Juliaup to update Julia?
I am using the Linux mint system, Juliaup 1.6.1, and currently using Julia 1.7.2.
I check in Juliaup there is no 1.7.3.
Thanks!

I guess it is just lagging behind a bit, has been discussed before

1 Like

On Linux GitHub - johnnychen94/jill.py: A cross-platform installer for the Julia programming language works better…

3 Likes

Thank you!

Surprised to hear the instability of Julia on M1 chips.

I plan to buy a new Mac soon. All of them are using M1 chips, instead of Intel chips. Any advice?

It doesn’t seem very surprising to me. M1 (etc.) is a new platform, so it takes time for all sorts of software to fully support it. Other programming languages have or have had similar issues. It’s a temporary problem, and there’s Rosetta as a backup solution.

I don’t have direct experience, though, but I’m sure many others can share theirs.

4 Likes

1.8 beta 3 native M1 support has been very good in my experience (although I run most of my simulations on a x86 linux cluster)

4 Likes

Same here. I’m using it on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro daily with no issues. 1.8.0 Beta3 multithreaded simulations.

1 Like

Thanks for recommendation. I’m probably bad at advertising but one good part of jill.py is that you don’t need a new jill version to upgrade your Julia version.

A fun fact: every time Julia makes a new release, jill.py star counts grow a few… :laughing:

4 Likes

I was a bit confused that the versioninfo (and the REPL splash screen) give the release date as 2022-05-06, which was the date of the last commit. I was thinking that this version had been out for nearly a month and somehow I hadn’t noticed.

1 Like

Yep, juliaup is always a bit behind because additional steps need to happen, but it should have been out for a while now. At some point we’ll integrate it full automatic into the release process :slight_smile:

4 Likes