Julia v1.0.5 is now available

Julia version 1.0.5, the fifth patch release for the 1.0 long-term support series of releases, is now available. You can get binaries for Linux (i686, x86-64, ARMv7, AArch64), FreeBSD (x86-64), macOS, and Windows (32-, 64-bit) at Download Julia.

As a patch release, 1.0.5 contains no new features or breaking changes, only bug fixes and documentation improvements. You can see a summary of the changes in the release notes and you can see a list of commits included since 1.0.4 here. We recommend anyone currently using 1.0.4 (or an earlier 1.0.x release) upgrade to 1.0.5.

Note that 1.0 on Travis, AppVeyor (with Appveyor.jl), and Cirrus (using CirrusCI.jl) now refers to 1.0.5.

Enjoy!

21 Likes

Great - Will the Snap be updated?

1 Like

I’m afraid I need a reminder: how do these bug fixes and documentation improvements find their way into versions such as 1.4?

Very good and throughout explanation: Julia's Release Process

2 Likes

Thanks for the link!

So if I understand Julia's Release Process, there is no harm in using the nightly instead of 1.0.5, because the bugs fixed in 1.0.5 are also fixed in the nightly?

Yes, but nightly may have some new bugs :wink:

Choose between the latest stable release (1.2), or the 1.3 release candidates, or master, depending on your tolerance for bugs and willingness to investigate/report issues β€” see the risk tolerance personas here.

2 Likes

When a release is made, package evaluator is run to look for regressions, which may have crept in on the branch. Also the Julia binaries that are put up for distribution tend to be more carefully built than one’s own personal build.
I would recommend staying with the tagged release, and preferably the distributed binaries where stability matters.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. My point was: Am I or am I not going to run into the bugs in the nightly that have been already fixed in 1.0.5 ( or some such patch release)?

You will not run into bugs patched on 1.0.5, but you might run into bugs that never were in 1.0.5

That is understood. That is the reason why the developers ask people to use the nightly. :wink: