I asked for help optimizing my Julia code, now it's someone's package?

Agree - and I apologize for what might seem like kicking a leaf pile. But I didn’t want to move on because it seemed like, to the extent there was agreement on community norms, it was siding with being proprietary about the code from an open discussion.

Thanks for chiming in. Given the original description of the issue, this is exactly what it seemed like to me, and personally, I think this sort of behavior should be encouraged.

Then you could still package it later? Or you could ask for the person to transfer ownership of the repo to you (based on all the evidence, I’m guessing @Skoffer would have been happy to do this). Being upset about this seems like letting the perfect be the enemy of the really really good.

I do apologize for being antagonistic here*. My generous read of this post is that you felt like someone was taking credit for your work, and it’s understandable that you would be upset about that. To the extent we’re using this thread to establish community norms, I think we can all agree that people should not take credit for other people’s work.

But I also think that, given the evidence you initially presented (and I think confirmed by @Skoffer’s post), there’s very little chance that this is what was happening. I will echo others that I really appreciate that you’re clearly not holding any kind of grudge. :heart: this community!

* It’s quite possible my vituperation is coming from a totally unrelated situation at work where a number of people are being jerks about taking credit for things they didn’t do, denying credit to others etc. My apologies if that’s bleeding into my responses here.

10 Likes