How to start Julia REPL in VS CODE (Insiders) in specified conda environment?

This setup is imho more flexible and better reproducable than using the default Conda env from Julia.

As I understand it you are suggesting using global Conda (not Conda that comes with Julia) to manage environments and Python packages which as I understand is different than mostly recommended use of Conda that comes with Julia. As I understand it your suggestions might also provide a way to execute the code directly from VS Code with the use of i.e. Alt+Enter as well as provide access to Julia versions that are not present at conda / conda-forge.

Based on this understanding I tried to implement your suggestion. I created new Conda environment “julia18” [“conda create --name julia18”] which is located at /home/xxxxxx/.conda/envs/julia18. I installed Julia from julia-latest-linux64.tar.gz official binaries. I tried two options in julia to set ENV['PYTHON']: one was ENV["PYTHON"]="" and the second ENV["PYTHON"]="/home/xxxxxx/.conda/envs/julia18/bin/python" and in both cases I added PyCall v1.92.3 [Updating `~/.julia/environments/v1.8/Project.toml.

When:

julia> using PyCall
[ Info: Precompiling PyCall [438e738f-606a-5dbb-bf0a-cddfbfd45ab0]
ERROR: LoadError: IOError: open("/glob/development-tools/versions/[...]python/latest/condarc-julia.yml", 577, 33261): read-only file system (EROFS)
in expression starting at /home/xxxxxx/.julia/packages/Conda/sNGum/src/Conda.jl:1
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile Conda [8f4d0f93-b110-5947-807f-2305c1781a2d] to /home/xxxxxx/.julia/compiled/v1.8/Conda/jl_2w0VUw.
in expression starting at /home/xxxxxx/.julia/packages/PyCall/BD546/src/PyCall.jl:1
ERROR: Failed to precompile PyCall [438e738f-606a-5dbb-bf0a-cddfbfd45ab0] to /home/xxxxxx/.julia/compiled/v1.8/PyCall/jl_WmUWT5.

I encountered errors as above. As I informed in my previous post my base environment is “read only”. I think it is a similar situation to descibed here: https://github.com/JuliaPy/Conda.jl/issues/166. It was more than a few months ago when I was setting up my environment, however, if I am recalling correctly this was one of the reasons that I decided to install Julia through conda in a separate conda environment. I took a look at my notes and I think those might be the steps I followed:

# Create julia env with python=3.8.5
conda create --name julia python=3.8.5

# OPTIONAL: Add conda-forge channel 
conda config --add channels conda-forge

# Install Julia 1.6.0
conda install -c mjohnson541 julia

# Start julia and
julia> ENV["PYTHON"]=""
(@v1.6) pkg> add PyCall
(@v1.6) pkg> add Conda
julia> using Conda
julia> Conda.add("choosen conda package name")
or 
use global Conda to add packages to Conda environment.

Should you have any comments or suggestions I would be happy to try them. Thank you once again.