How can we create a leaner ecosystem for Julia?

1 I’m writing from the perspective of someone who wants to see Julia thrive. Else, I wouldn’t spend time collecting TS packages & posting this note (which I happily do for free).

2 I’ve noticed community culture is important & contagious. People on this forum have been very helpful to me & consequently I’m motivated to help others if I can.

3 From my links to code above we see there is a huge amount of redundancy for time-series.
From my links to posts on Discourse we see at least some of this redundancy is from a lack of awareness about other packages.

4 As a user, I’d prefer one TS package w/ many of the functions from the other 20+ packages.
That’s my preference, I don’t expect anything from anyone.

5 I’m writing a program to train an ML model.
As a developer, I want to write a program that is easy for others to use & nicely fits into interfaces. I will consider adding my model to larger existing package, b/c I believe it’s better to have more algorithms in fewer packages.
There are many judgement calls for me to make & I wish there was more centralized organization in the Julia community.
I don’t care if we all drive on the left side or the right side, as long as we drive on the same side.

@ChrisRackauckas hit the nail on the head when he wrote:

It would be nice if other domains, such as ML and TS, were similarly organized.

5 Likes