How can we create a leaner ecosystem for Julia?

Thank you for your comments! I’ll discuss the first (easier) question:
Q1: if I’m using/developing Julia, what is an easy way to find all code in my domain?

1 From (here) & (here) it is clear that Julia users are having trouble finding code in their domain.
I wouldn’t have found many of the 20+ links I posted searching GitHub or Google. I knew about Financial Risk Forecasting, QuantEcon, Creel, and Soderlind before I heard of Julia.

2 @Roger-luo suggests standard keywords in the Pkg registry like in pip.

3 May I suggest a pinned post @ the top of each domain in Discourse?
For example, in the Statistics category description:
(3.A) we can post links to time-series code (including the 20+ links above), and let users comment which packages are missing. When someone has an announcement about a new package, they can add their package to the list as well.
(3.B) users can post desired functionalities for that domain

Similarly for Data, Finance/Economics, Astro/Space etc.

I’m personally interested in all ML packages for Julia & it’s harder to find things than you’d expect.
This resource would be great for developers working on ML interfaces such as MLJ.

4 Individuals who have attempted to track Julia packages in various domains, have incomplete lists & rarely update those lists (here, here, here).
Hence, this resource is more likely to be maintained in an official location (such as Discourse).
Perhaps put someone in charge of overseeing each list & they can pass the baton to someone else after a year?

1 Like