Flux multi-cpu parallelism?

There are couple of things at play here:

1. Flux and PyTorch are equivalent in that both frameworks execute all non-accelerated (e.g. not BLAS, NNPACK, CuDNN) code single-threaded and shell out to ops that are usually multi-threaded. There can be gains from running non-BLAS Flux code on multiple threads/processes, but that should (in theory) not be required to match a normal PyTorch training loop and isn’t even the same programming model (i.e. the PyTorch equivalent would require a GIL-less Python).
  2. Current Flux incurs a large time penalty for the TTFG (time to first gradient) on both the forward and backwards pass. Unless you’re only calling gradient once per REPL session/script, the recommended way to benchmark is to “pre-warming” the forward pass by inserting a model(<dummy data>) call before the training loop you want to benchmark. This won’t reduce absolute execution times, but it will help isolate the parts you can control.
  3. exp and derived functions like tanh are the biggest bottleneck for Flux on CPU right now. IIRC the performance delta is under 10% for a normal dense relu network. I’d have a look at some of the “fast exp” options mentioned in Flux vs pytorch cpu performance - #50 by Elrod and see if those work for you. Also worth a run through a profiler to see what other bottlenecks may be present.
  4. Flux and PyTorch performance are far closer on GPU. If you intend to train and experiment on GPU anyhow, it’s worth testing there as well.
  5. Are both Flux and PyTorch using Float64? If the latter is on Float32 by default, that could also be a performance advantage.

I don’t want to sugar-coat things: Flux does not currently benchmark well on CPU for “relatively linear” (i.e. non-SciML) models, and the “Zygote era” has certainly not helped. On the bright side, here are a couple improvements you can look forward to in the not-so-distant future:

1. A new-and-improved AD system that should dramatically improve upon Zygote’s performance (the biggest piece of TTFG).
  2. CPU-specific tuning in Flux and NNlib. For example, https://github.com/FluxML/NNlib.jl/pull/191 (mentioned in your previous thread) has since landed in an NNlib release.
7 Likes