Fixing Package Fragmentation

Unfortunately, it’s a bit backward. Most of the packages that we’d like in our curated registry are already in the general registry. What would be more useful would be a copy of General with all the packages removed that have no readme and are only there to share a repo among members of a lab, none of who know how to maintain a local registry… OTOH, who knows, maybe maintaining a registry of what one considers relevant packages is worth trying despite the duplication.

Here are a couple of local, low-energy, things you can do.

To avoid putting things in the general registry prematurely:
I maintain a public registry (This is super easy with LocalRegistry.jl) for packages that dont belong in or are not ready for General. I sometime have packages that depend on these, so the README says you have to install this registry. I haven’t seen anyone else do this (I’m sure someone has) I don’t how it would work out if it were more common to see smaller registries in use publicly.

This is obvious and well known, but I’ll repeat if for this thread. To aid in discoverability and aid in evaluating overlap and consolidation possibilities:
Like in a science paper, you can put a few sentences in the readme putting the package in context in the larger ecosystem. If you don’t want to spend the time, you can at least add a list of related packages. Or if you don’t want to spend even that time, you can do what I did with an enums package that I put in the general registry; add a link to one package and say something like “See EnumsX.jl and packages referenced in its README”. The last one is still kind of negligent, especially for the fourth or fifth enums package, but much better than saying nothing.

1 Like