Failing to precompile Plots due to LoadError (Mac edition)

Unfortunately that’s a very unhelpful error message coming from your operating system (julia has no control whatsoever over that). I’d note that macOS 12 provides more descriptive error messages when you aren’t able to load a shared library, but older versions are very economic with details.

I’d have suggested to do something like

using

Library("/Users/jeffreyzweidler/.julia/artifacts/c759795325eba6523fb1157b582551d4250575e1/lib/libavdevice.58.13.100.dylib")

as last line, but honestly I never used DependencyWalker on macOS and I don’t know if it’ll work (especially with frameworks involved). You can give it a try, but don’t expect too much. NOTE: to be absolutely crystal clear, since this is a somewhat common misconception, DependencyWalker is a debugging tool, it may be able to tell you what’s the missing library, it will not solve any issue.

If DependencyWalker doesn’t help, you’ll have to start julia with dtrace, try to run using Plots and have a look at dtrace output to see what library can’t be found.

Again, there is is relatively little we can do about this, it’s your operating system that is withholding information from you.