Community norms for unsolicited communication

Yeah, that’s another good point. I’m happy @mohamed82008 pinged me in the other thread. I think some of that has to do with personal tolerance as well. All of these “rules” are very rough on the boundaries, so again it just comes back to common sense.

3 Likes

I think the issue is a software issue, not a human behaviour issue: GitHub/Discourse co-opting Twitters @ syntax to mean something slightly different. Perhaps the solution is to modify Discourse site to add a checkbox whether @ mentions should be contacted?

1 Like

Does enclosing an @ mention in backticks suppress notification? (e.g. @dlfivefifty)

If so, this could be used in cases where one wants to acknowledge or reference someone without notifying them.

yes, though quoting breaks that :slight_smile:

Just break the “at”: @-greg_plowman

My point was make it opt in communicate, not opt out. Expecting new users to put ticks is not realistic

2 Likes

For the record, i don’t have any objecting to people @ing me at any time for any reason… This is probably because there are few that would think to do so, and after reading this thread I realize I am probably guilty of over @ing

Sorry :persevere:

1 Like

FWIW, on reflection I think what I said above was stated a bit too strongly. As many others here have said quite well: just try to be considerate. (and similarly, be considerate when responding to a meta-request/suggestion made publicly or otherwise)

1 Like

Ping me whenever you want also! :slight_smile:

1 Like