#= Commenting =# very inconvenient on Spanish language keyboard

My initial PR for this used #{ ... }# but it was shot down because of the danger of an inadvertent multiline comment, and the same objection would apply to #(. See the discussion in WIP: implement #= ... =# multiline comments by stevengj · Pull Request #6128 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

1 Like

My comments was not intended to suggest that. I was merely pointing out the difficulty of making everything convenient for multiple layouts at the same time.

That said, while US and similar layouts are a reasonable baseline, people should of course feel free to use whatever they like.

I’m comfortable with current approach since commenting should be done by the editor with some special shortcut.

Think that the language specifications must be always in balance between the user preferences and the compiler ones. That’s why, in my opinion using brackets would be difficult.

On the other hand I’m a full time user of atom.io, but I did not find a way on commenting via a shortcut on highlighted blocks. That’s why I wrote this discuss.atom.io:50858.

To expand on what @mkborregaard seems to be implying:

Oh God I hope “just use a US keyboard no matter where you are” never becomes the official recommendation.

Switching between two keyboards could/would be more of a burden than the alternatives. In my case, I have to write in Spanish and English all throughout the day so I have to choose between one or the other. I like the English language keyboard layout better for programming but the Spanish language keyboard has all the letters and symbols I need without me having to look up key-combinations on some table.

I suspect that whatever choice is settled upon it won’t be ideal for all but at least it’s being given due consideration.

Feel free to open a feature request at https://github.com/JunoLab/atom-julia-client, it should be pretty easy to implement this.

Actually switch between three layouts all the time and in macOS you have a small flag in the menubar indicating which layout is active. For coding of course I have the US keyboard. Also the auto-correct features of macOS always match the current layout, so it fits that as well :wink:
For my workflow at least it has been perfectly fine for the last decade(s).

1 Like

You can also set a keyboard shortcut to change between layouts. I use option+space to quickly switch US and US International layouts.

1 Like