Can i start out with Julia as my 1st coding language

I think that, for your first language, you are generally best off with whatever language has the most resources local to you — courses at your school, friends or colleagues or teachers who know the language and can help you, etcetera. Nowadays, that likely points most people to Python, for better or for worse.

Other than that, I’m not sure it matters too much which language you start with, as long as it’s not too idiosyncratic. But as soon as possible, even before you have fully mastered your first language, my feeling is that you should start learning your second language (and your third language, and so on…). Learning multiple languages helps you to separate the syntax (the “spelling”) from the underlying concepts, and you should be pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is to learn your second language than it was to learn the first. It’s almost impossible to truly understand programming if you know only one language.

Choosing particular language becomes a more relevant choice only later, when you want to learn something very specific that some languages do better than others (e.g. OOP or performance engineering or compilers or hardware hacking), or when you are embarked on a project where the end goal is more than just pedagogy (e.g. you want to develop a game, or a scientific simulation, or a website). At that point, knowing a variety of languages will give you more tools to work with.

21 Likes