[ANN] Turing 0.9.0

Sure. I think there were a couple things that helped here.

1. We used “heavy” packages in MCMCChains, such as DataFrames. DataFrames were used to report parameter statistics and to do some intermediate numerical calculations, but they have a really high spin up time at a place when it was not helpful. Since they were mostly being used for display purposes, we removed the DataFrames backend and just wrote our own print/display functionality. You can still use some DataFrames functionality, but it’s lazily loaded with Requires.
  2. One of the fixes was a weird one, which I think was mostly due to type inference problems. You can see the discussion here, but the fix amounted to basically re-configuring how MCMCChains handled chain concatenation.
  3. I had extended some functions from Base in a way that caused a bunch of precompilation difficulties. One line in particular caused the MCMCChains load time to decrease from ~20 seconds to ~6 seconds was to change
Base.convert(::Type{T}, cs::Array{ChainDataFrame,1}) where T<:Array

to

Base.convert(::Type{Array}, cs::Array{C,1}) where C<:ChainDataFrame

This one was very hard to find – I just commented out files one at a time until I saw big performance improvements, and then I started commenting out specific functions in files that caused big performance drops. Impractical for very large projects, but I think MCMCChains is small enough that I can do this sort of thing.

@devmotion do you have any other comments that might be helpful?

7 Likes