ANN: MaxMinFilters.jl - fast streaming maximum / minimum within moving window

Nice summary, I can see you were working a lot on this algorithm.

This is the most interesting for me - processing of very large or infinite streams from databases or other “larger than memory” sources. I don’t think stopping and resuming is crucial but probably you have more insight in this concept than me, so maybe just I cannot imagine a use case. There are coroutines, tasks and threading (see ThreadPools.jl), so they can handle interrupts in the data delivery quite nice.

Those functionalities sounds complicated, I am not sure the O(N) algorithm will handle them.

I guess we neeed an array of Deques to handle that. Probably it would be useful somewhere but I have only 1D cases to handle.

I don’t think they can handle that. Branching streams is not easy. If we have an iterator to database query stream it would be problematic to iterate it in 2 places with different cadence. The solution would be to open 2 independent connections and process them separately, eventually we can join those 2 processed streams later.

So for me simplest use case is to make this fast extrema algorithm work for any iterable things, not only AbstractArrays. I’ll try to prototype it soon, the discussion you linked is helpful. I did it long time ago in C# so this is feasible.