AC Optimal Power Flow in Various Nonlinear Optimization Frameworks

Update: the benchmark is now running on the SciMLBenchmarks! You can find it here:

https://docs.sciml.ai/SciMLBenchmarksOutput/dev/OptimizationFrameworks/optimal_powerflow/

Anyone can trigger the benchmark to run just by changing the code here:

It makes a cute table at the end with the current results:

Things to note:

1. I know the table formatting can be improved. If anyone knows how to make documenter show the whole thing I’d be happy to have the help in formatting it.
  2. There is a parameter SIZE_LIMIT which tells the benchmark the maximum number of variables to use in the benchmark files. This is set to 100 right now just to play around with formatting, but I’ll bump it up and do a bigger run. I did do a bigger run a bit back so I know it works, just :person_shrugging: when fixing table formatting it’s annoying to wait a day haha.
  3. Optimization.jl code was horrendously allocating and type-unstable. A common issue in the code was using d["$i"] on a dictionary, instead of just using an integer. The dictionaries are still there, so there’s still some indirection that should be removed and the performance should increase, but at least it’s type-stable and non-allocating now. I’ll actually optimize the code in the near future, but the code now is at least a lot simpler than the original code and won’t interfere with AD tooling.
  4. Optimization.jl is now using a sparse reverse mode, but it’s not optimized yet. This case is a case we’re using to optimize things. See:

which are low hanging fruit identified from this.

1. I added a lot of validation cases so if you change the code around, assertions will throw failures if you break something.
  2. I couldn’t get the CASADI code to run, I’d like some help figuring that out.
2 Likes